microsd reader under Fedora-7

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 1 19:07:39 UTC 2007

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> I'm trying to read a micro-SD card under Fedora 7.  When I plug a card
> into the socket, I do notice the following message logged to
> /var/log/messages, but no new disks show up in /dev/disk/* .  Is there
> something else I need to do or is this code just incomplete?
>
>    Aug  1 10:22:09 ancho kernel: tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:3

The tifm code can be a problem. Some versions will work for me, and
other do not. One thing that needs to be done is to automaticly load
the tifm_sd module when a SD card is inserted into the socket, and
the modules removed after a card is removed. You can try running
"modprobe tifm_sd" and see if the card is detected and mounted. It
will not be listed as a SCSI drive. It will show up as a mmc_block
device instead. (I am not at my laptop, so I can not bet the exact
device name. something like mmc_blk0 and mmc_blk0.1)

You may find this page, and its links handy.
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=TI_FlashMedia_xx12/xx21_driver

Mikkel