Strange grub behavior w/new 2.6.22.1-41 kernel

Casey Stamper casey.stamper at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 08:00:07 UTC 2007

> >> in
> >> kernel
> >>
> >> You can tune this within file /etc/sysconfig/kernel
> >>
> >> Mine reads
> >>
> >> # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
> >> # new kernels the default
> >> UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
> >>
> >> # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
> >> DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel
> >>

> >> --Frank Elsner
> >>

> > That's nice to know but why did the supposedly default behavior change?
> > I've
> > been through several kernel updates on this machine and IIRC, they
> booted
> > from the newest kernel upon restart (although I *could* be wrong on
> this).
> > know FC6 booted the newest. I run a lot of different distros so maybe my
> > last two or three kernel updates on F7 are getting mixed up in my mind
> > w/the
> > default behavior of other distros. I'll definitely pay closer attention
> > it next time and tweak /etc/sysconfig/kernel if necessary.
> >

> On 8/2/07, Jim van Wel <jim at coolzero.info> wrote:Hi there,
>
> Well, I updated it today, and everything was standard installed, and it
> just went fine, also selecting default the newest kernel. So maybe you
> changed something?
>
> Greetings,
> Jim.

That's odd. I've never messed with /etc/sysconfig/kernel but the old kernel
was definitely the default after installation of the new kernel. I didn't
change anything after the install/update - just rebooted to test the new
kernel (which I had to select manually).

--
Casey Stamper
http://www.stampersite.com/wordpress