yum update

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Thu Aug 2 13:22:44 UTC 2007

On Thu August 2 2007, Chris Jones wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> >     The yum update is a problem now. I let it go to the point where it
> > does what it says it will and I said no! Most of what it wants to do is
> > fine. But it wants to erase my current kernel and install 41 again. I
> > have been through this already today!
>
> AFAIK yum will *never* remove the kernel you are currently running. So
> if by your "current kernel" you mean the one you are using, you are safe
> from that being removed.

Having once experienced precisely what Karl describes above, I'd say you're
wrong. I did spot what it was proposing to do as I always read the proposed
changes before accepting them. It was a while ago in FC6, and there was a
period of some days where yum was doing some strange things, and as I recall,
I ended up removing yum and reinstalling it and doing some 'clean all's (not
necessarily in that sequence) before it was fixed. I don't know what caused
this behavior, and I'm sure it's not supposed to ever happen, since it would
be insane, but, some combination of things I'd done, or bugs, or corruption
in the database, did cause the anomalous behavior -- which is one reason I
never run automatic yum updates...never say *never*

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA