UDEV

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Aug 2 14:49:17 UTC 2007

> Andy Green wrote:
>> Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>>
>>>     I read but did not understand any details of udev but I am certain
>>> it is why my old application called gmfsk finds that /dev/dsp is busy.
>>> It is not busy but the current setup of udev makes it appear busy. Also
>>> it is certain that udev can have upset with the new kernels and be
>>> causing the problems some or most of us are having.
>>
>> What makes you think /dev/dsp isn't busy, and if it is busy, that udev
>> is to blame?  Try this
>>
>> lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
>>
>> it should list any processes that have /dev/dsp open.
>>
>> -Andy
>>
>     I did that and got no result. I think that means it is not busy?

It means no other app has it open, maybe some other meaning of "busy" is
in mind.

I just looked at the sources in ./src/snd.c ... can you copy the last
couple of things it says before it fails?  It should say something like
"Opening /dev/dsp for writing" or similar.

Another tool is strace, just run the thing as

strace gmfsk

add whatever gmfsk args you usually use at the end.

After it stops spewing nonsense, review the last few dozen lines looking
for lines referring to /dev/dsp, and cut and paste them here.

-Andy