F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 - amazing statements

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 2 14:51:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 00:50 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> >> I don't think the Fedora kernel developers ever try to "improve"
> >> something like a WiFi module, anyway.
> >
> > There has been a hell lot of misinformation in this thread but this one
> > takes it to a whole new level. Fedora/Red Hat developer John Linville
> > (http://people.redhat.com/linville/) is the upstream wireless subsystem
> > maintainer for the Linux kernel.
>
> Sorry, but if they do actually try to improve on Linus' team in this area
> I wish they wouldn't.
>
> I admit I am not a great fan of Fedora kernels -
> I normally compile my own from the vanilla kernels
> (I haven't got round to 2.6.22 yet)
> and I have never found a distribution kernel from Fedora or anyone else
> which worked any better for me than the standard kernel.
> (I've found many that worked worse.)
>
> I regard the kernel and the distribution as more or less orthogonal.
> If I actually had to run a non-standard kernel in order to run Fedora
> I would probably move to another distribution.
> Not a common point of view, I'm sure, but mine.
>
> > If you really want to know what changed in between these kernels, take a
> > look at the changelog or the cvs. Hint: it's not a typo.
>
> I'm not sure where one finds either of these -
> presumably with the kernel source?
> (I looked at the developer's URL you gave, but didn't find anything there.)
>
> I did think of downloading the two kernel sources,
> and comparing the SPEC files,
> but decided life was too short.

I am sorry if someone (Tim maybe) is offended but the above contains the
most amazing statements. To say they kernel is orthogonal to the
distribution must be close to the most amazing statement ever made on
this list. The kernel is central and is the most important part of the
distribution. I used to compile kernels,and boy that was a waste of time
unless you really know what you are doing.

To engage in kernel compiling and not know where to find the changelog
of the kernels is even more strange.

I hope no one else decides  it is useful to tinker with the Fedora
kernels because, I guess, they think the people who create Fedora
kernels really don't know what they are doing.

This is my rant for the week.
If there were a school for, say, sheet metal workers, that after three
years left its graduates as unprepared for their careers as does law
school, it would be closed down in a minute, and no doubt by lawyers. --
Michael Levin, "The Socratic Method
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net