New Kernel still bad

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 17:34:13 UTC 2007

> The installer gives you a warning if you make /boot smaller then
> 75M, and grub itself uses 220K, so this should not be a problem for
> most users. If you figure 6M for each kernel, initial RAM disk, and
> system map, you should have room for at least 12 kernels. (6M allows
> for a larger then normal initrd file.)

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that. I tend to play around with a few
kernels, so always manually setup my partitions and make /boot fairly large.

I guess though its not fool proof since not everyone uses the installer (you
can update via yum) and also some might have partitions left over from old
installs where smaller boot partitions were OK.

Chris