How to prune out old rpm files from fedora repository?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Aug 2 19:33:29 UTC 2007

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 14:34 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> I've used the repomanage tool to do this.  Something like this for
>> one of my local repositories:
>>
>>     repomanage --old $repo | while read package; do
>>         dir=$(dirname "$package")
>>         archive="$topdir/archive/$(basename $repo)"
>>         [ ! -d $archive ] && mkdir -p $archive
>>         mv "$package" $archive
>>     done
>
> This is great, but how would one keep the nightly rsync against the
> yum mirror from downloading again all of the RPMs that were pruned
> from the local repo?  I looked through the rsync man page, but I
> didn't see anything obvious that would apply here.

The official yum repos are pruned already.  You shouldn't need to
reprune them yourself.  There is a suggested rsync invocation for
mirroring Fedora content at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

It is:

rsync -vaH --exclude-from=${EXCLUDES} --numeric-ids --delete \
      --delete-after --delay-updates \
      rsync://download.fedora.redhat.com/fedora-enchilada ${LOCAL_DIR}

See the wiki page for more details.

If that doesn't exclude everything that you want, you can use an
exclude file.  You could even populate that file with the results of
the repomanage output I suppose.  But I don't think that is generally
necessary is you mirror things like the wiki suggests.  The repomanage
snippet above is what I use on my person repository of packages I
create locally.

...this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no
religion in it.
    -- John Adams, Letter to Thomas Jefferson, 1816