F 7: HP LaserJet 4000N stopped working for me via parallel port...

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Thu Aug 2 21:01:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Chris Mohler wrote:

> On 8/2/07, Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>> So I am getting a lot of error messages. I hae reset the printer...I
> don't
>> know what else to do.
>
> Try this:
> cat /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps > /dev/lp0 (or /dev/parport0?
> I'm away from F7 right now)

Tried both. Nothing.

rain is ready and printing
Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
1st     root    1       Test Page                       19456 bytes
active  root    2       install.log                     58368 bytes

> If you get a test page,  then you know at least the printer is
> functioning and properly connected.  Next, I'd probably stop the
> "hplip" service, restart CUPS and see if the parallel port is then
> offered.  Or use the CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631).

All fail, even though it "sees" it, obviously. The printer state says
"Ready" in the window. I tried a new cable, that didn't work, either.
I tried a different machine...nada.