Gmfsk now works!

RavenOak ravenoak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:15:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:03 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> 	I used Nigles idea and I read the man pages for the wrapper aoss which
> takes care of the strange problem I had with /dev/dsp being busy. I had
> to yum the software in and then I start the thing like this:
>
> $ aoss gmfsk
>
> and that brings up gmfsk much faster than without the wrapper. I got it
> all set up and wrote messages between Texas and here in New Mexico over
> the 20 meter Ham Radio band. So it is working well again on F7.
>
> I need to figure out why oass is making it work. Here is part of man aoss:
>
>    aoss is a simple wrapper script which facilitates the use of  the  ALSA
>         OSS compatibility library. It just sets the appropriate
> LD_PRELOAD path
>         and then runs the command.
>
>         This is useful in cases where routing settings (which can  be
> made  in
>         your  .asoundrc  file)  need to be applied to commands that use
> the OSS
>         API.
>
> --
>
> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> 	Linux User
> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.

I am assuming that gmfsk uses OSS libraries and not ALSA.  The OSS way
of playing sound was one program grabbed /dev/dsp at a time IIRC.  ALSA
can set up an intermediary program that grabs the sound device, then
lets other programs grab it to play sound.  This allows multiple
applications to play sound simultaneously.  This is of course, if I am
remembering all of this correctly as it has been quite some time since I
have used OSS (when did RH start using 2.6 kernel?).

--Tim