is there a way to get CD isos of Fedora 7?

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 2 22:51:05 UTC 2007

Phil wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 09:55 -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>>
>>>I have a workaround to install Fedora 7 if I can get the
>>>isos on CDs. I can only find DVD iso for Fedora 7.
>>
>>You can install f7 from the Fedora 7 Live CD.
>>
>>>I would think I'm not the only person who uses Fedora
>>>who does not have a DVD reader/burner.
>>>
>>>Is it now the policy of the Fedora Project to only
>>>make DVD iso available for download?
>>>
>>>Darlene Wallach
>>>

>>--
>>

> here is how you can install Fedora without a DVD player...
>
> Download the FC7 DVD iso.... extract the boot.iso from the DVD iso... (use
> your tools of choice)
>
> Create an nfs share on another system and put the FC7 DVD iso in that share.
>
> Burn the boot.iso to a cdrom
>
> boot the system you want to install FC7 on from the cd with the boot.isoimage.
>
> When you are asked how you want to install choose "NFS share"
>
> Enter the ip address and directory name... and voila... network install of
> FEDORA and you did not have to expand the ISO to do it.
>
> Pretty cool!

Phil,

Thank you for your excellent advice. However, I cannot
boot from CD, my BIOS only allows me to boot from an
IDE CD-ROM and I have a SCSI CD-ROM.

However, there is another workaround that Conor Daly
sent me when I was trying to install FC 3 and had the
same problem - not being able to boot from CD:
1. copy and rename the following files to /boot
    initrd.img
    vmlinuz
2. modify grub.conf
title Fedora 7 install
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-f7-install ro root=/dev/hda3
         initrd /initrd-f7-install.img

I have been exchanging email with John Reiser regarding
this same issue and I might have made a mistake in
grub.conf, I might have to correct it and add "askmethod"
after after vmlinuz:

title Fedora 7 install
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-f7-install askmethod
         initrd /initrd-f7-install.img

btw, if you post your replies to the bottom or at
least interspersed in the email. It makes it easier
for people to follow the conversation in a chronological
order.

Please consider posting your replies at the bottom.

Thank you,

Darlene Wallach