F 7: HP LaserJet 4000N stopped working for me via parallel port...

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Aug 2 23:27:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 01:26:37PM -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Craig White wrote:
>
> >>I have an HP LJ 4000N hooked up to my machine via an old parallel
> >>port. A few days ago, this stopped working. I suspected that a kernel or
> >>udev problem was the cause. I went to system-config-printer and deleted
> >>the printer; then, I attempted to bring it back. Isee several printers on
> >>our building network, but no options for parallel. Is there something else
> >>I should be choosing in the setup menus to make it work? For the Device
> >>URI, I have tried Socket://:9100, serial ports 1-3 (incase it got
> >>confused)...and several others. I give up. Any ideas?
> >----
> >1 - try booting an older kernel to see if the problem actually occurred
> >from kernel update
>
> Since no one else is having this problem, let's see if it issomething
> else.
>
> >2 - Socket://IP_ADDRESS:9100 only works for networked printers - not
> >parallel connections.
>
> Which one should I use?

You say it's actually connected to the parallel printer port?

Have you tried something like this:

	ls -l > /dev/lp0

or maybe /dev/lp1, depending on where it's actually connected.

If this gets printer activity, then you know the printer and its
cable are (probably) working.

Or you may have to try it like this:

	ls -l | unix2dos > /dev/lp0

If you haven't proven that (1) the printer works, (2) the parallel cable
works, and (3) the computer's printer port works, then there's no point
in messing about with cups, et al, looking for a problem with them.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding