Yum Upgrade

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Aug 3 03:35:23 UTC 2007

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Pan Mail wrote:
>> What is the difference between yum update and yum upgrade?
>> I never do yum upgrade, but yum update at most.
>
> According to the man page, upgrade = update --obsoletes
>
> It also says it is more suitable to use for distrobution upgrades, like
> changing from somelinux 8.0 to somelinux 9.
>
> Amazing what you can learn by reading a man page.  B^)
>
> It is my understanding that some changes were made recently that allowed
> for package obsoletion more readily during an update, which renders the
> difference pretty much moot these days.  I could be wrong about this
> though.  I've had certain packages removed during an update and be
> replaced by new ones with different names.

I often check the option to keep rpms in /var/cache/yum after update, in
the hope that I will find the perfect way to use them for upgrades of
other machines. It would be nice if there were an option to keep only
the most recent version and delete both the old software and the old rpm.

I admit I haven't quite figured how to get the metadata to come from the
repositories and the rpms to come from the saved files, though. I don't
really want to set up a repository, although DAG has some software to do
it. I haven't tried it, but maybe a unin filesystem or such...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>