F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 - amazing statements

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 3 15:15:00 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> I am going to top post just this once because I am too tired to deal
> with all the accusations in this note.

That is no excuse for top-posting.
Also I didn't make any "accusations".

> But:
> 1. I knew Tim would object to what I said.

Because it was wrong.

> 2. Orthogonal means that two things doe not affect each other. So it
> would mean that any kernel would work with and programs in the
> distribution. That is not true.

I don't know of any Fedora application that works
with Fedora kernel 2.6.x.y-n
that does not work equally well with vanilla kernel 2.6.x.y .
That is what I mean by orthogonal.

I asked you for an example of this.
You didn't given one, so I assume you cannot find one.

> 3. Yes I have compiled kernels. I said that.

You implied that it was very difficult,
which made me wonder.
It used to be much more difficult than it is today,
because Torvalds and team have cleaned things up
and organized them better.
In my view the Fedora developers could learn a lesson from this.
Fedora is becoming much too spaghetti-like.

> It is all irrelevant. Unless you know what you are doing and can make
> some significant improvement in the operation of the system by compiling
> the kernel.

For me, the boot is on the other foot.
I do not try to improve Linus Torvalds' kernel.
That is what the Fedora people do.

> Doing it can get you in trouble for little benefit.

How does running a standard kernel "get you in trouble"?
You're talking nonsense.

> Currently the kernels are distributed compiled for several cpu versions
> so that is not something that needs to be done by the user.

Not true.
None of the distribution kernels I have seen
use CPU choices that accurately match any of the machines I have.

What machine do you have?
What CPU choice does the distribution kernel make?
Does it accurately reflect your CPU?

> But anyone who wants to compile their own kernel id welcome to do it.

Exactly.
That is precisely what I said, if you look back:
"I know it is not the general view,
but _I_ prefer to compile my own kernel."
[That is a paraphrase of what I said.]

I don't mind what you do,
and don't believe in giving advice where it is not asked for.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366