broadcom wireless under F7 -- the recipe(?)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 3 21:06:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 02:33 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Aaron Konstam:
> > This statement that WEP is easy to crack must be taken with a grain of
> > salt. One has to visualize crackers driving down my street and
> > cracking my WEP passphrase or strange people , probably with speakers
> > in their ears and raincoats, wandering through the office. It could
> > happen but on my street which goes nowhere they would stand out.
> >
> > Although, if they want to do that let them. My communication with other
> > machines is all encrypted (e.g, mail is ssl encrypted) so I am not sure
> > what they would find out.
>
> I think there's been enough proofs on the net that it is easy to crack,
> in itself.  Yes, the chances of it happening if you're not in the thick
> of things is slimmer, but don't forget that someone trying to steal free
> net (or do illegal things through someone else's internet) can do so at
> a distance with a good enough antenna.  They don't do it just to see
> what you're up to, they mightn't even care, they're more interested in
> connected to the internet.
At home that is AT&T's problem not mine. At work since anyone with a
wireless card can connect to the system again it is not really my
problem. And I can only use security methods that they support.

> Depending on how you did you mail, it may only be the password
> authentication that's encrypted, the message content may be sent in the
> clear.  That can be a concern for some people.
No all of my e-mail is encrypted.

"I'd love to go out with you, but I want to spend more time with my
blender."
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net