Remote X11 Connection

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 4 19:07:22 UTC 2007

On Saturday 4 August 2007 7:28:29 pm Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> > Logging on via ssh does not start a full session
>
> Somewhat off topic: is there a way to start a full session remotely?

Yes, several ways ...

Firstly, at the login window, under the menu you should see an option for
remote login (at least on my Fedora7 box here, installed from the KDE live CD
thats the case. On the standard Fedora7 install, or a different distro it
might be label different or missing).

If you do have this you can type in the IP address of the remote session and
attempt to login. Note this will only work in the sysadmin at the remote site
have configured things to allow this sort of a connection (xdm I think, not
sure). In any case I wouldn't want to use it over anything other than a fast
(100Mb plus) local network.

Other ways include starting a VNC session on the remote service, and
connecting to that via vncviewer. Another would be to use the freenx system.
Googling for either of these should bring up loadds of info.

A real low level way would be to start a empty X server on your local machine,
then login into the remote site via SSH, through the console for instance,
export the display back to the new empty Xserver and run 'startkde' or
whatever to fireup your remote session on your local X server. Again, only
try this on a fast network.

Chris