Remote X11 Connection

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 4 19:16:48 UTC 2007

> Firstly, at the login window, under the menu you should see an option for
> remote login (at least on my Fedora7 box here, installed from the KDE live
> CD thats the case. On the standard Fedora7 install, or a different distro
> it might be label different or missing).

Thought of another way ;)

Switch to the console on your local machine (alt-cntrl-F1) and login. Then run

 > X :2 -query <remote-host>

This is basically what the suggestion above does.

One other nice things about this, is if you use the local host name in place
of <remote-host> you basically start a second X session on your local box.
( This is effectively all that the 'switch-user' buttons in the latest
KDE/gnome releases, but useful on systems which don't have this. )

Chris