Remote X11 Connection

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:34:25 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist wrote:

>> As I said at the start, I've also heard good things about freenx. I
>> gather it makes the process much slicker, without the need for all the
>> CLI stuff. However, its not at all standard in most distros, whilst
>> vnc is and installing in places significant burden on the remote
>> sys-admin, so you might have to fight to convince them to do so
>> (unless you happen to be that admin ;) )
>>

> What about 100/1000 connections with SSH-only?

You can ssh-tunnel just about anything, but I'd still pick freenx/NX as
the first choice if you plan to use it much and only consider the others
  where that isn't available.  If the target is fedora, just 'yum
install freenx'.  Then you need to get the client ssh key from
/etc/nxserver to the client machine and import it in the client
configuration program - and make sure the 'use ssl encryption for entire
session' option is set.  Everything else is pretty obvious.  I've only
used the windows and mac clients though, so I'm not quite sure how the
linux client setup works.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com