VMware install problem.

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Sun Aug 5 09:04:26 UTC 2007

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 15:09 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> I have been foolish enough to upgrade my VMware server release (on FC5) and now
>> it won't launch. Seeing the error messages produced I didn't really expect it to
>> launch. Please take a look at the attached error message file. It looks like the
>> install process doesn't like c++. Is that because I need to upgrade the kernel?
>> I am currently on 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 and the VMware I am trying to install is
>> VMware-server-1.0.3-44356 and any-any 113.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Is that the end of the log?  Those warnings are not unusual, but (in
> Workstation, at least) they are usually followed by messages about
> success loading the vmmon module, then attempts to compile and load the
> vmnet module.  Your log has no indication of an actual error that stops
> the build, but no indication of success either.

This was no log just output from stderr.

> If the build really did succeed, then can you post the result of trying
> to start the VM from a command line?  Is there anything unusual in dmesg
> or /var/log/messages about starting the service at boot?

There are no messages from command line launch. The VM just ends without any
message. I have come to believe that it is due to harware problems with the
partition in which the VM lives. I will proceed with this assumption by creating
a new VM in another partition and see if I can reinstall the OS there.

If it is correct what you say (I have no reason to believe otherwise) I should
soon be up and running.

Thanks for your information.
--
Erik.