RFE: how to file: lightweight desktops

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 18:44:23 UTC 2007

--- Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 11:05:31AM -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> >

> > True. I myself use fvwm2. But twm, and fvwm2 are not DEs. They are
> > WMs.
>
> What is the difference between a desktop and a window manager, anyway?

A WM gets you by. A DE can even help you brush your teeth:-) I am not a great
fan of DEs and don't use one, but a lightweight DE will enable more of the
masses to use F than W.

> > I was thinking something in the light of fluxbox or xfce would be
> > apprpriate. The real trouble under the current setup is the plethora
> > of things that appear and get working even if you choose not to use
> > gnome (using fvwm instead).
>
> That is a problem with Fedora (and possibly other Linux disties): too
> much cruft. E.g: You need a minimum of 256 MB to install Fedora; less
> than that and yum looses its marbles. I just installed xubuntu on a
> box with 67 MB using the alternate (debian) installer.

This is exactly my view also. Note the difference between xubuntu and its
bloated counterpart. Bloat is the antithesis of the linux/oss environment and
reminds me of the infamous quote of one moneyed evangelical: people will not
care about bloat because they will be ready to buy newer hardware. Remember
1995 in a different context?

Trotter