Fedora 7 : Fresh Install, defaulted to Runlevel 3

jimacornette at netscape.net jimacornette at netscape.net
Mon Aug 6 00:08:35 UTC 2007

> A proper format may be required when you get bad sectors.  If the
system
> can write to the drive and clear the blocks (well, the drive pretends,
> in the background), and the warnings go away, you'll probably be okay.
> If you keep on seeing error warnings, I wouldn't trust the drive, at
> all.  Those bad blocks could have been the demise of your XP
> installation.

I assume the error is indicating an end to the life of the hard disk. I
did not know about the errors until after completing the Fedora install
and reading system mail. I'll have to check the system out more when
I'm down that way again.

> I like the information Linux provides much more than Windows, too.  I
> had a cheap box that wasn't very reliable, but Windows gave no clues
as
> to why.  Linux did, however, give me warnings that I could use to
> diagnose the fault.

Lack of info or not making the errors obvious is what I suspect. I'll
know if there are any informative errors if I try to recover the XP
installation. The user is bound to want it working again. I see hints
of this already.

Jim