ready to give up Linux

Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 19:10:06 UTC 2007

On 8/6/07, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have now installed Fedora (including fc7) on a number of different
> > machines and they all work just fine : they install easily, find
> > everything and run first time no problems.
> >
> > Maybe there is something you are doing incorrectly during the install
> > process : it is easy to overlook something if you speed through the
> > install too quickly.
> >
> > Also, are installing or updating? If one is updating (from, say, FC6 to
> > fc7) then it usually (in my experience) doesn't work and I have found
> > that it's best to do a complete install with every new version of
> > Fedora.
> >
> > I can't agree with the reply that there's a problem with Fedora maturity
> > (or maturity in any other distro if it comes to that). Each distro has
> > its own quirks and and characteristics, but I have found that "maturity"
> > has nothing to do with it. Each new version of a distro addresses
> > outstanding matters such as small bugs, new devices, new protocols,
> > updated applications and so on and, despite its stability, even Linux
> > will be prone to small bugs being introduced whenever there is an update
> > to the kernel or an application. But nothing like the problems one
> > experiences with Windoze.
> >
> > Maybe the machine on which you are trying to install fc7 has some
> > characteristic that Linux doesn't like or can't cope with : I understand
> > that laptops in general seem to be Linux UNfiendly but, with my IBM R31,
> > I've had no troubles with any distro I've tried installing on it
> > (perhaps because it is old now?).
> > CroombeFP
> >

> I'm sympathetic to the original poster on this thread.  I've been
> running Linux since Redhat 4.1, a long time.  If F7 had been the first
> Linux for me, I am pretty sure  I would have quit.
>
> On a Dell Inspiron laptop, I've had nothing but trouble with the
> kernel and udev.  Suspend/Hibernate did not work, original kernel and
> update have had serious problems to work on, usb sticks did not mount
> automatically, the wireless network (iwl3945) has been a disaster, and
> Gnome seems to get worse and worse.
>
> I would think this is the normal state of Linux, I suppose, except
> that last month I bought a Nokia N800 internet tablet that runs on a
> small version of Debian linux.  Guess what?  Everywhere I go, the
> wireless connects effortlessly.
>
> F7 is the first fedora that made me feel like a beta tester (or alpha
> tester) for RedHat enterprise linux.  Simply too many fundamentals
> have not worked well and require hours of study and work.  And the
> various "help" pages, such as the pm-suspend quirks page, are simply
> unhelpful.

I agree entirely with Paul. If I were not a Fedora user since F4, I
would have already quit. In fact, in my case, I would not have been
able to install F7, as F7 installation disk does not simply install
anything here. I imagine that new users that, like me, cannot install
F7 will abandon Fedora immediately.

Paul