Intel PM965/ICH8M (Santa Rosa) notebooks and Fedora

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Tue Aug 7 01:28:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 23:32 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone having experience with Intel (Santa Rosa) PM965/ICH8M based
> notebooks and Fedora?
>
> I'm particularly interested in experiences with the Compal IFL90/IFL91
> (Intel "VBI" barebone notebooks), but information about other vendors
> are welcome too.

I have an HP Pavilion zv6565us with an ICH8-based sound card (if that's
what you mean).  My sound uses the Realtek 268 codec which the current
Alsa doesn't support.  You can make it work, but you need to build the
Alsa drivers and libraries from the CVS code or wait for the new version
of Alsa to come out.

The wireless is an Intel 4965-based card which works using the iwl4965
driver once you get the right firmware installed.

anaconda didn't recognize my CD/DVD drive during installation, but I
used an ISO image on a USB disk and that went smoothly.  Once I updated
to the latest kernel, the CD/DVD works normally.  The webcam built into
the machine requires the uvcvideo driver to work.

Hope that helps.  If you have that beastie or something similar and need
help, contact me off-list and I'll see if I can help you out.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3--not even for large values of 2. -