I'm ready to give up Linux!!

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Aug 7 04:07:34 UTC 2007

On Mon August 6 2007, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > Brunswick, MD, USA
>
> Or, as happened to me, a combo drive that no longer does DVDs. Easily
> tested by trying another DVD disc that is known to be good.

yup - happens all the time -- I'm hardware manager for about 100 machines, so
I've seen every failure imaginable -- I tend to concur with Karl -- CD/DVD
drives are largely poorly designed because they have a door that's not air
tight, and numerous air gaps around the inside of the case. Fans sucking air
into the case, and around the components pull in dust as well, something that
doesn't get along very well with lasers and sensors, so they fail frequently.
DVD lasers put out a much tighter beam than a CD laser, so they tend to be
more sensitive to dust on the lens and emitter.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA