Please help with Firefox bug

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:49:17 UTC 2007

On 8/7/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 10:30 -0700, Kam Leo wrote:
> > FWIW: I have never had any success installing the Flash plugin
> > directly from the Firefox browser on any Linux distribution that I
> > have used.
>
> Seconded.
>
> > I'm not certain that system administrators want this fixed. What if
> > installing Flash is prohibited?
>
> This too.
>
> Installing things through the browser is fraught with problems.
> Although a user should only be able to install things as themselves, and
> therefor not cause problems to anything but themselves, that's by no
> means a given.  And then there's the problem of surrepticious
> installations.  Not to mention trying to install something that requires
> some other OS.
>
> --
> (This box runs FC5, my others run FC4 & FC6, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

Ok, I understand both of your points of view and I respect them but
please think about this.

If a browser shows a message that it has some plugin missing and
offers some bar that you click on any user clicking on it would expect
to do what it says. If it doesn't do what it says or if tries and
fails then it is a bug. Do you agree ?

How it does what it needs to do that is an entire other issue.

I could agree that this is "windows" way of installing flash plugin...
but   I still don't see any major issue except it doesn't get updated
during system update.

If fedora devels would recode Firefox (which they would never do) so
that when a user clicks on "install missing plugin" firefox tells yum
to add macromedia repo and install rpm containing flash - you have my
blessing :) Off course after admin gives it's blessing via root
password.

I (and most users) don't care how it gets done as long as it
"JustWorks" - anything else is a bug and should be fixed.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic