I can NOT do following! help

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 7 13:45:12 UTC 2007

Mohan Jayaweera wrote:
> Hi all, my squid (direct) proxy serves clients well, but I can't
> execute following commands.  can anybody help me. the box is Intel P4,
> Redhat Enterprise Edition 4 WS.
> Thanking You
> Mohan Jayaweera
>
> [kumara at proxy ~]$ squid -k reconfigure
> bash: squid: command not found
> [kumara at proxy ~]$ squid -k restart
> bash: squid: command not found
> [kumara at proxy ~]$ squid -k shutdown
> bash: squid: command not found
> [kumara at proxy ~]$

Try running "su -" first. I would think that you would need to be
root to modify/shutdown squid. I would also consider using the
service command instead of running squid directly to
start/stop/restart squid.

(By default, a user's prompt ends in $, and root's prompt ends in #,
to make it easy to detect when you are running as root.)

Mikkel