Too Slow To Stop

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 21:39:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 16:27:20 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
[...]

>        For example, random.init has these three lines:
>        # chkconfig: 2345 20 80
>        #              higher quality random number generation.
>        This says that the random script should be started in levels
>        2, 3, 4, and 5, that its start priority should be 20, and
>        that its stop priority should be 80. You should be able to
>        figure out what the description says; the \ causes the line
>        to be continued. The extra space in front of the line is
>        ignored.
>
> Mikkel
[...]

Yes, but what about my original problem?  How can a process
tell when the system has begun to shut down down?

BTW, in looking around, I found:

[root at mbrc32]# runlevel
N 3

Now this surprises me; it was run from a KDE Shell Konsole.
While I start my system at level 3, I then type startx.
I thought that the GUI runs at level 5.  Am I wrong about
this?

Mike.