NOUSER

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Aug 8 01:24:14 UTC 2007

> Unfortunately I can't. My company's server hardening policy says
> IPTables should be off!  I have to apply for a "Security Override" if I
> have to enable it. Go figure.
> I'm trying to get that changed.

Probably wise. Remind us all never to use your employer for anything
important ;)

If you can't use iptables because your company is weird you can always
move the port, that'll probably confuse robots a lot

> I did check where the attempts were coming from. The source IP addresses
> were assigned to ISPs. So infected windows systems are most likely to be
> the culprits.

Every ssh server I have sees a continual stream of dictionary cracking
attempts all from the timings apparently robots.