Dell Precision M60 with Broadcom BCM4306 HELP!

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Aug 8 13:37:57 UTC 2007

> On 8/8/07, Pan Mail <breeze50 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On my system, ndiswrapper driver works on maximum speed 54Mbps, but bcm43xx
>> driver works on only 11Mbps.

> I'm seeing the same behavior when using the bcm43xx driver but I can't
> confirm the ndiswrapper behavior - never tried it. Is this a
> configuration tweak issue or is it an issue that will be addressed
> w/the other updates?

Caution needed: the bcm43xx driver is not the same as the
bcm43xx-mac80211 driver.  It seems soon the older wireless drivers will
be deprecated in favour of the new mac80211-based ones.

ndiswrapper is a remarkable shim that allows you to use a Windows driver
in Linux, so "ndiswrapper" doesn't deliver 54Mbps... "ndiswrapper + some
Windows driver" is doing it.  It's a wonderful hack, but not one I want
on any of my boxes.

The bcm43xx-mac80211 driver was definitely capable of 54Mbps here so I
would give it a try, but then I would be much happier with 11Mbps on
that than 54Mbps with the ndiswrapper + Windows driver hack.

-Andy