Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Aug 8 20:42:27 UTC 2007

Casey Stamper wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>>
>> I tend to agree.  You paint yourself into a corner trying to write fixed
>> rules for non-fixed media.
>>
> Especially when you write in those fixed rules and boot the system w/out
> the device in there and it hangs for a good long while chewing on that
> line in fstab.

That is why you use the noauto option in the fstab entry. You have
to run mount manually after plugging in the drive, but you can set
it so the user can do that.

If you do not want to use gnome-mount, then you could always fall
back on an older method. I used to have udev rules that created
meaningful symlinks when plugging in a USB drive. The fstab rules
would then use the symlink instead of a specific SCSI drive. (You
can also have udev run a command to mount the device when it is
deetected, but I didn't bother with that.)  The thing is, you can
have udev create entrys like /dev/pny128 /dev/pny1281 when you plug
in your PNY 128M pen drive, and have a fstab entry that lats a user
mount /dev/pny1281. The user runs mount /mnt/pny128 or mount
/media/pny128 and the device gets mounted.

Mikkel