Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Aug 8 22:37:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> There is an entire issue with how to handle devices that should not
> be shared between users when you have more then one user logged in,
> as well as how to handle things when the only user logged in is
> logged in remotely. I personally think it is a good idea to limit
> remote access to hardware as the default. This is even though it has
> made more work for me when working with headless machines. But you
> always have to balance between ease of use, and security. I do not
> see any easy answers.

There is even more fun when you have a multiuser machine that has a
desktop user and many non-desktop users.

Remembering watching a co-worker who was the desktop user on a machine
that had multiple ISOs loaded to it by a non-desktop user and having a
window open for every single one on the desktop as it tried to mount them
as loopback.

He was not happy.

--
"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct