System freezing frequently

Chris Kurecka ckurecka at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 02:48:31 UTC 2007

> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> >> I've been watching this thread thinking about a whole bunch of PCs
> >> here that have had the exact same symptom.
> >>
> >> My research group had 5 Dell  Optiplex 270 that worked fine for 2
> >> years, then randomly locked up.  There was no pattern to the problem,
> >> systems passed memtest86.  The temperature was fine.  Sometimes we
> >> went 2 weeks without a lockup, then they would lock several times in a
> >> day.
> >>
> >> Finally discovered problem was faulty capacitors in motherboard.
> >> Instead of looking like flat topped cylinders, their tops were swolen,
> >> so they looked sorta like the tops of cupcakes.  Then I found out that
> >> people at the Dell company were just waiting for repair requests.
> >> Because they sold a hell of a lot of those PCs.
> >>
> >> After replacing one motherboard, a machine worked great 8 months, one
> >> of the machines started to do it again.  I went through the usual
> >> crap--all that stuff you have been doing.  I got to the point where I
> >> could not depend on it to do anything.  Discovered problem was the
> >> main power supply was failing.  It supplied enough power to boot and
> >> run, but apparently not enough for the bursts of energy needed by one
> >> of the IDE drives, and when that drive freaked out, it made the whole
> >> system lock up.
> >>
> >> Maybe this info does not fix your pc, but it may let you know you have
> >> company.
> >>

> > We had a notice come around work about Dell computers and capacitors
> > some time ago.

I don't have a Dell, but was intrigued by the story and checked the
capacitors.  For better or worse, they were fine.

Turns out that my PC isn't booting because one single pin bent & fell
off of the processor.  Since I had to replace that, and also didn't
think the CPU was the issue anyway, I ordered a new CPU, motherboard,
RAM and PSU.  Gotta wait 3 business days for it all to arrive, and
then to assemble it, but at least the issue should be resolved
(assuming it was a hardware problem, which it probably was).

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions along the way.  I'll
otherwise feel free to assume the new parts fixed it.

Chris Kurecka