Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 9 06:37:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 23:25 +0200, Casey Stamper wrote:
> For an end-user, inserting a thumb/usb drive should be painless. It
> should auto-mount and maybe even a new window pop up w/the contents of
> the drive.

Like others, I tend to find this a bad default.  Plugging in a flash
drive doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to browse it.  You
might be going to save a file from your word processor to it.

It's like auto-play on CD players.  The first track isn't usually the
one I want to listen to.  I mightn't even want to start playing the disc
yet, so I've got to put the disc in, wait, hit stop.  Whereas I could
have just put the disc in, and pressed play if I wanted the first track,
or did something else if I wanted something else.

Don't get me started about DVD players...  Grr, that's a whole new list
of agrevating stupidities.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386