Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Aug 9 11:33:19 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 23:25 +0200, Casey Stamper wrote:
>
>> For an end-user, inserting a thumb/usb drive should be painless. It
>> should auto-mount and maybe even a new window pop up w/the contents of
>> the drive.
>>

> Like others, I tend to find this a bad default.  Plugging in a flash
> drive doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to browse it.  You
> might be going to save a file from your word processor to it.
>
> It's like auto-play on CD players.  The first track isn't usually the
> one I want to listen to.  I mightn't even want to start playing the disc
> yet, so I've got to put the disc in, wait, hit stop.  Whereas I could
> have just put the disc in, and pressed play if I wanted the first track,
> or did something else if I wanted something else.
>
> Don't get me started about DVD players...  Grr, that's a whole new list
> of agrevating stupidities.

    I think your showing your age. I think it is real nice to insert
your usb device be it anything and have a panel show up that displays
all that is within. This is real cool 8-)

    This is why I was quick to delete the new kernel(s) that ruined this
nice feature :-)

    Someday there will be a new kernel that doesn't ruin the very nice
USB system on F7.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User