Procedure on mounting USB/hotplug devices

Casey Stamper casey.stamper at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:01:03 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 23:25 +0200, Casey Stamper wrote:
> >
> >> For an end-user, inserting a thumb/usb drive should be painless. It
> >> should auto-mount and maybe even a new window pop up w/the contents of
> >> the drive.
> >>

> > Like others, I tend to find this a bad default.  Plugging in a flash
> > drive doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to browse it.  You
> > might be going to save a file from your word processor to it.
> >
> > It's like auto-play on CD players.  The first track isn't usually the
> > one I want to listen to.  I mightn't even want to start playing the disc
> > yet, so I've got to put the disc in, wait, hit stop.  Whereas I could
> > have just put the disc in, and pressed play if I wanted the first track,
> > or did something else if I wanted something else.
> >
> > Don't get me started about DVD players...  Grr, that's a whole new list
> > of agrevating stupidities.
> >

>     I think your showing your age. I think it is real nice to insert
> your usb device be it anything and have a panel show up that displays
> all that is within. This is real cool 8-)
>
>     This is why I was quick to delete the new kernel(s) that ruined this
> nice feature :-)
>
>     Someday there will be a new kernel that doesn't ruin the very nice
> USB system on F7.

I tend to agree. I would much rather have to close the pop-up window
than have to navigate through Places, etc or use a file manager to
track it down. After all, if I insert an USB device, logically I want
to read what is on it or use it somehow right then. If that doesn't
involve browsing the files, it's a simple one-click to get rid of it.

--
Casey Stamper
http://www.stampersite.com/wordpress