how to identify 32 vs 64 bit CPU?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 9 12:34:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 07:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > what's a simple way to tell if a system has a 32 or a 64 bit CPU?
>
> Possibly:  cat /proc/cpuinfo

not necessarily.  for example, on an AMD 64-bit athlon laptop i have,
that shows me that the model name is "Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 64
Processor 3400+", but note that that's part of the model name, which
could conceivably not have mentioned the 64-bit word size.

i'm after (if it exists) a simple userspace utility that returns the
word size of the actual architecture.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA