how to identify 32 vs 64 bit CPU?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 18:26:33 UTC 2007

Stupid shell script:

    #!/bin/bash
    echo -n "Running "
    RES=`uname -a | grep 64`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo -n "64-bit "
    else
        echo -n "32-bit "
    fi
    echo -n "operating system on a "
    RES=`cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep " lm "`
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo -n "64-bit "
    else
        echo -n "32-bit "
    fi
    echo "machine"

Have fun, gang.
- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -

Rick,

   This is not a "Stupid Shell Script" it is an AWESOME shell script that does the job it is intended for.  Thank you for providing excellent advice through the years.  Along with several others on this list whose names I think not need mention make this list one of the best.  I always enjoy reading these kinds of posts.

Regards,

Antonio

[olivares at localhost Documents]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 athlon i386
[olivares at localhost Documents]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)