How can you get a Seagate USB 160 GB drive to mount?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 10 12:29:55 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 22:52 -0700, Richard England wrote:
>>> It does NOT "automount" like my USB thumb drives and USB printers
>>> automount.
>> Does the Windows volume have a name?  (Same sort of thing as labels on
>> EXT3.)  I seem to recall that's required for auto-mounting.
>
> I don't think that's correct.  At least in KDE, it will automount to
> /media/disk(-n) [n would be a number, if there are multiple unlabeled disks]

That seams to depend on what version of the HAL rules you have.
Sometimes HAL works fine with unlabeled partitions, and sometimes it
does not. The partition type also sometimes makes a difference,
though I have not looked too deep into it. Adding a label may be
enough to make it auto-mount. But not if there is an entry in
/etc/fstab for it. I think HAL checks for a rule in /etc/fstab, and
does not mount if it finds one - probably to give you an easy way to
override HAL.

Mikkel