The case against LVM

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 10 13:14:16 UTC 2007

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Well, the "x" in your example can take the RE form "[a-z]+".  For
> example, we have some storage arrays with, oh, 130 LUNs on them.  They
> appear as /dev/sda[1-15] through /dev/sdiv[1-15]

But you won't get this with the standard Fedora installation,
which I assume is what people are talking about.
You will be told you have disks /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, or whatever,
and asked how you want to partition them.

You are saying, in effect, that you can make Fedora think
one of your disks is in fact several different disks.
That may be true, but not with the standard Fedora installation.

Incidentally, what do you mean by a "storage array"?
The discussion was about partitioning a single disk, IIRC.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366