Using the entire disk as a file system (Was Re: The case against LVM)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 10 15:06:35 UTC 2007

Roberto Malinverni wrote:
> [...]
If you have a drive you don't mind messing up, try running something
like "mke2fs /dev/sde" changing /dev/sde to match the drive you are
using.

# mke2fs /dev/sde
mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/dev/sde is entire device, not just one partition!
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
166144 inodes, 331785 blocks
16589 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=343932928
11 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
15104 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912

Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 28 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
# fdisk -l /dev/sde

Disk /dev/sde: 1358 MB, 1358991360 bytes
42 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1019 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2604 * 512 = 1333248 bytes

Disk /dev/sde doesn't contain a valid partition table
# mount /dev/sde /mnt/temp/
# df /mnt/temp
/dev/sde               1306236      1968   1237912   1% /mnt/temp

As you can see, the drive does not have a valid partition table, but
it does have an ext2 file system on the entire drive. It will mount
just fine. The drive I used was an old laptop IDE hard drive on a
USB to IDE converter, but it will also work on an internal drive on
a PATA, SATA, or SCSI controller. It should work on any drive that
has a /dev device entry. What is even more interesting is that it
will also get auto-mounted on my FC6 system.

Mikkel