FC7 dhcp resolv.conf

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 10 15:43:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 15:33 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> As a matter of interest, what does PEERDNS mean?

In a nutshell - get the DNS server addresses from your peer (your "peer"
being the other side of the cable).

> The changes dhclient make to my resolv.conf are always crazy.
> I don't see how they could possibly work.
> It's a really bad feature of this program, IMHO.

The idea of DHCP is for the DCHP server to configure the client, and for
it to provide *all* the parameters (your IP, your hostname, your DNS
resolvers, your netmask, your timeserver, your mailserver, etc.).  If it
didn't do so, you'd have to manually configure them.  And then what's
the point of using DHCP if you only half use it?

For what it's worth, here DHCP does what it's supposed to do.  If it
didn't set my client to use the server's DNS server, then I wouldn't be
able to resolve any domain names.  It also adds the domain name to the
search path, so that doing "ping hostname" can automatically do a "ping
hostname.domainname" where it needs to.  This complete configuration
means that I can take this box from one network to some other, and not
have to do any manual fiddling for it to work.

What does yours do?

If you're using some sort of mixed network, e.g. you have a LAN, but
that machine also dials up to the internet on a modem, and uses DHCP
from the ISP, then that's a problem of your implementation of network
configuration.  Not DHCP, per se.  You have to decide some limits.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.