About to go back to windows host -- need advice

Matthew Saltzman mjs at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Aug 10 16:19:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:55 -0400, David Frascone wrote:

> I did forget one other question:  When I re-do things, can I choose to
> dual-boot *or* run the linux partition in vmware?  Or, would it be
> better to just pick VMWare *or* natively booting?
>
> I know windows doesn't like to do both . . and I assume that linux
> won't enjoy the constant driver changing -- but other than that . . .
> could that be the "best of both worlds"?  I could boot to linux
> sometimes -- or -- other times run in in a VM, off of the normal linux
> partition?

It should work just fine with a Linux client and native disks.  I do it
the other way with no problem.  The issue with running XP as a guest
this way is that XP re-registers itself when it detects the "hardware"
change when you boot natively or in the VM.  With an enterprise license,
that doesn't happen.

--

                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences