F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Aug 10 19:46:08 UTC 2007

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> I have a Belkin UPS for which they provide Linux control and
>> monitoring software.
>>
>> I think I recall that Fedora Linux also had an application to
>> interface with a UPS?
>>
>> I am curious to try this device and need to know if anyone has
>> experience with it, and if it's safe to install the software they
>> provide or if there is already something else I can use.  The truth
>> is I probably don't need the control functions although it would be
>> convenient to have auto-shutdown in the event power goes down while I
>> am away but the monitor functions might be of some interest.
>>
>> Any suggestions and opinions appreciated.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
>>

> The Linux ups stuff is called: nut
>
> You probably want:
>
> nut
> nut-client
> nut-cgi
>
> # yum install nut nut-client nut-cgi
>
> The cgi stuff may need a httpd config file made for it, or simply copy
> the installed files into your regular cgi-bin directory.
>
> The nut team are pretty good about staying up with general UPS types.
>
> It would be worth visiting their web site to check on the specific
> model you are interested in.
>
> http://eu1.networkupstools.org/compat/
>
> My CyberPower 1100AVR works like a champ over a serial port.  It shows
> a message into any and all open terminal sessions when a condition
> arises, and is fully cabale of shutting down my systems when the
> battery gets low.
>
> The web pages generated by the above cgi package are informative.
>
> In all, for my stuff, nut is great.
>
> Good Luck!

I appreciate the suggestions but I don't seem to be getting anywhere
with this project.  How do I determine what device the F7 thinks the UPS is?

It came to me with a USB cable and that was convenient so I have it
connected that way and the computer sees it as indicated by lsusb -

lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 015: ID 050d:0980 Belkin Components [F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS]
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:0870 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Express
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c408 Logitech, Inc. Marble Mouse (4-button)
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

But in order to configure it I need to identify it in the config. file.
/dev/usb is not sufficient it seems.  What do I do next?

Bob Goodwin