status of fixes for yum-updatesd. Any News?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 21:04:00 UTC 2007

This is the old "yum-updatesd does not work" questions.  Why is there no fix?

I installed about 10 Fedora 7 systems in a lab and ignored them during
July.  Now I notice that none of the updates from Fedora have been
applied.  In these systems, I set the yum-updatesd.conf file to do
automatic updates, but nothing happens.

[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = syslog

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

=======================================

Except for sitting down at every machine every day and killing
updatesd and running yum, I can't see any way around this.  I go like
this

# /sbin/service yum-updatesd stop
# yum -y updates
# /sbin/service yum-updatesd start

But it appears to me that nothing is updated automatically still.

I can remove yum-updatesd and install a cron job to update rpms, but I
kinda expected a fix in yum-updatesd would be available by now.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science