OFF-TOPIC: Fedora 7 already installed, can't install XP on empty partition

André Costa blueser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:03:16 UTC 2007

Hi Aaron, thks for stepping in.

On 8/10/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 18:07 -0300, André Costa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is somehow off-topic, but hopefully someone here has been through
> > this already...
> >
> > I just bought a shiny new Core 2 Duo machine (Intel DG33BU mobo), with
> > a nice 250G SATA disk. Fedora 7 installation went surprisingly well
> > (and fast), only problem was that onboard NIC was not recognized, but
> > upgrading the kernel offline fixed this. Everything is amazingly fast
> > =)
> >
> > BUT... I need this machine to dual-boot to Windows XP (still addicted
> > to some Windows-only games =( ). XP setup CD hangs just after showing
> > "examining hardware configuration" or something like that. It doesn't
> > really hangs, it just switches to a blank screen and sits there
> > forever (I already left it there for more than 15min to no avail).
> > Keyboard is responsive and HD led stays on. CTRL+ALT+DEL reboots as
> > expected.
> >
> > I talked to IT guys at work and they told me they've been through this
> > already lots of times, it seems XP is unable to properly recognize the
> > disk when only Linux is installed on it (?!?), and only solution would
> > be to reformat the whole thing and install XP first.
> >
> > Is that true?
>
> It is true that it is better to install XP first. I have had cases like
> yours. Did you create a partition for XP? One can not tell from your
> fdisk -l output. If not you are lost.
>
> However, If there is such a partition. make it type 7 with fdisk. Then
> retry your XP install.

I haven't created a partition for XP, but I just did that with gparted
on the empty partition, and marked it as HPFS/NTFS (type 7):

~ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda2              14       10467    83971755   8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda3           10468       30401   160119855    7  HPFS/NTFS

Still, nothing happens. ... stupid XP, I can't believe I'll have to
reinstall everything because of it =/

If that's really the case, what should I do? Reboot from Fedora
installation CD into rescue mode, run fdisk and remove all partitions?

Something just occurred to me: what if I managed to boot from a Linux
rescue CD, ran gparted and marked both /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 as
"hidden" partitions? Could this work?

Regards,

Andre