Internet slow down related to the firewall

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Aug 10 22:43:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:33 -0700, Les wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 20:43 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> > Les wrote:
> > > was good.  I checked the modem setup and it was good (DSL), and I looked
> > What speed is the service supposed to provide ?
> > Have you set MTU to 1492 or less {to account for ADSL overhead} ?
> > Is it a pure adsl modem, or modem-router ?
> > What thing does the pppoe login ?
> >
> > DaveT.
> >
> It is a modem/router.  PPOE logs it in, and it does dhcp handling for my
> local network.
>
> I did not set MTU on the system. I didn't think that would be necessary
> because the local interface to the router/modem is via standard 100mb
> ethernet.  The modem is furnished by the provider and I expect that it
> is setup correctly.  And I don't understand how that could affect the
> operation of the modem out link.

The firewall could be doing connection tracking.  If so, it is possible
that its table is filling up and causing the slowdown.  Then again, the
firmware that makes up the firewall component may be corrupted (it's
happened to me before on both D-Link and Linksys firewall/routers) and a
firmware update of the unit fixed it.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -