another ssh question

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Fri Aug 10 23:08:38 UTC 2007

I was looking and at playing around with /etc/ssh/sshd_conf. What I want to do is
after say 5 or so failed attempts to ssh, I want it to block ssh at least for a time
(to keep people from hacking in). I uncommented anything that looked like it
might do that, restarted sshd (even rebooted). Then I tried to ssh several times
making up things for password: banana, orange, lemon, apple, etc. (the real password
is nothing like that). I got through all the fruits and several vegetables and it still
wasn't denied. When I finally entered the correct password it let me in right away.

What is the correct way to block ssh attempts after several failed ones?