F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 11 14:59:36 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 11 August 2007, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:

>>>   ^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> Of course it'd be nice if your UPS monitoring software just found it by
>>> itself, or presented you with a list of candidates.
>>>
>> It does not seem to do so, it being "nut," although I may have missed
>> something?
>>
>> I initially tried the Belkin provided Linux software which looks as
>> though it might be ok, it produces some pretty screens but it wont
>> accept the password I was asked to enter and verify.  As a result I
>> can't begin to configure it.
>>
>> I will continue the effort later, just had my morning coffee ...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bob Goodwin
>>

> And when you do get it configured, it will turn into a cpu hog, virtually
> killing the system if either gkrellm or its own gui ever query it.
>
> I've tried to email them about it, but their replies always very carefully
> talk about other things.  After 4 passes at making them understand that a
> module compiled on a red hat 5.1 system was not about to work on a modern
> system and being totally ignored, I asked the 5th time if I was trying to
> teach pigs to sing, and switched to apcupsd.
> I haven't had any power failures since, so I've NDI how it will react in that
> case.  The original belkin sw would in fact issue a -wall broadcast and shut
> things down gracefully, when it worked...
>
> As far as configuration, apcupsd finds /dev/hiddev0 all by itself.  If you
> have more than /dev/hiddevX, then it might need some guidance.

That was good advice, I installed apcupsd and it immediately began to
work.  Controlling the UPS is not something I want to spend a few days
on so I'm quite happy with the result so far.  The configuration still
needs some tweaking, I tried pulling the ac plug from the wall and it
immediately initiated a shutdown which is not what I want but I suspect
that can be fine tuned to give me a few minutes to save any work in
progress?

And I wasn't able to find where to enter a "model" name, it just reports
UPS when I do "status."  The big thing is that it worked right off
without a lot of searching for a device file, etc.

That and it shows the battery in a low state of charge?  It should be
near fully chargedsince its been doing nothing but charging for more
than a day but that may simply based on an assumption that it is
charging while turned on with apcupsd running?  I'll wait and see if it
comes up after a while.

This is what I see for status, notice BCHARGE:

service apcupsd start
Starting UPS monitoring:                                   [  OK  ]
[root at box6 ~]# service apcupsd status
apcupsd (pid 4166) is running...
APC      : 001,024,0564
DATE     : Sat Aug 11 10:56:25 EDT 2007
HOSTNAME : box6
RELEASE  : 3.14.1
VERSION  : 3.14.1 (04 May 2007) redhat
UPSNAME  : Nina
CABLE    : USB Cable
MODEL    : UPS
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: Sat Aug 11 09:38:24 EDT 2007
STATUS   : ONLINE
BCHARGE  : 000.1 Percent
TIMELEFT :   3.5 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag
MANDATE  : 2002-03-01
SERIALNO : D2002337105
APCMODEL : UPS
END APC  : Sat Aug 11 10:56:25 EDT 2007

I will remove the Belkin software.  I don't need the fancy Windows style
displays.

Tnx.

Bob Goodwin