POWERNOW-K8; MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS Stuctures ??

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Aug 11 15:31:48 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> What is this warning I get at boot just before Red Hat nash starting:
> "POWERNOW-K8; MP systems not supported by PSB BIOS Stuctures" ??
>
> I believe it has something to do with acpi which is mainly for laptop
> "sleeping" and I have a desktop.
>
> Tried "	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-41.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=off rhgb
> quiet" in grub, but still get the warning.  In BIOS setup it is enabled
> but greyed out i.e. can't be disabled.
>
> I have just installed a new ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with an AMD Athlon
> 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor.
>
> Any suggestions on how to turn off either the warning or acpi in Fedora
> 7?  I am supposing it has some use in my WindowsXP.

I would not turn off ACPI, except as a last resort. It is for a lot
more then for laptop "sleeping". You may want to read up on what
ACPI does. It is definitly useful on a desktop. From trivial things
like handling what the system does when you push the power switch,
(sleep, hibernate, do a safe shutdown, etc...) to showing cpu temps,
to managing the cpu temps, to setting up interrupts for system hardware.

Mikkel