F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Aug 11 16:36:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 12:20:09PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 11 August 2007, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >Gene:
<snippage>
> >Bob Goodwin
>
> I've been there too, most notably with an old NCR about the size of a full
> tower case and around 150 pounds.  It had 4 big 6 cell gel cells in it that
> at the price of them, got replaced with 4 ea 14AH motorcycle batteries all
> rigged so the overflow tubes dumped into a pint of soda.  But it, even after
> I lowered the float voltage by 4 volts, still boiled them dry at yearly
> intervals.  But it also ran this place for over 4 hours one night before I
> got nervous and did a gracefull shutdown.  We were 3 days getting power
> restored that time.  So after 3 years & 2 sets of batteries it got retired,
> and when the 1500 kva belkin I bought to replace it went tits up after the
> third battery in 3 years, refusing to handle a reset all the machines
> brownout for teh 4th time, it got replaced with yet another belkin, but when
> this ones gone, the next one will say APC on it, they care about linux.
>
> It won't be that long either, I'm convinced that belkin engineers a minimum
> operating temperature for their gel cells of something in the 170 degree
> range just so they can sell a new battery set at $130 a year.  I have to open
> them up, and leave then sit and cool for about half an hour just so they can
> be handled with bare hands.  Grrrr.  Good business model for belkin as long
> as they can get away with it though. :(

Gene:

Speaking of replacing UPS batteries, have you checked out
www.batterywholesale.com? No, I don't work for them, but I do have two
(Tripplite) UPSes here with their batteries in them. MUCH less expensive
than most other places I've found.

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding