F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sat Aug 11 20:46:22 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 10:59 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> [root at box6 ~]# service apcupsd status
>> apcupsd (pid 4166) is running...
>> APC      : 001,024,0564
>> DATE     : Sat Aug 11 10:56:25 EDT 2007
>> HOSTNAME : box6
>> RELEASE  : 3.14.1
>> VERSION  : 3.14.1 (04 May 2007) redhat
>> UPSNAME  : Nina
>> CABLE    : USB Cable
>> MODEL    : UPS
>> UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
>> STARTTIME: Sat Aug 11 09:38:24 EDT 2007
>> STATUS   : ONLINE
>> BCHARGE  : 000.1 Percent
>> TIMELEFT :   3.5 Minutes
>> MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
>> MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
>> MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
>>

> While not having played with a UPS, but used to rechargeable battery
> powered video equipment with decent monitoring, the charge and time left
> statuses don't sound good, and I can imagine that'd be why software
> would do an immediate shutdown.  Some systems might take a minute or two
> to shutdown, and having just three minutes of battery life left gives
> you little headroom, so the safest presumption would be to shutdown
> immediately.
>
> Since you thought it'd had enough time to charge, are you sure that the
> battery is okay, or that your UPS is capable of providing enough power
> for the load that you've put on it?

I was told that the unit was still working when it was removed from
service?  Then the question arises as to why it was replaced?  I don't know.

I installed two new SLA batteries two days ago and judging from the
voltage across the terminals it was charging.  I would have to remove
the case to measure battery voltage which ought to be near 27 volts by
this time I would think.

It has no load on it presently, this computer being connected to another
UPS for power while connected to the unit under test only by the USB
connection for testing.  I have no pressing need for it but it was given
to me and it is of higher capacity than any of the others I have plus
the automatic shutdown makes it an interesting prospect.

I can put a load on it and see that it holds for a while.  Belkin claims
45 minutes of operation with a "computer" connected.  If it will run
something like a TV for ten or fifteen minutes it should be good for my
needs.

The battery charge data will need investigation though.

Bob Goodwin